Republic Act No. 10172 – Correction of Clerical and Typographical Errors in Month and Date of Birth and Sex of a Person Appearing in Civil Register

January 26, 2013

President Benigno S. Aquino III recently signed into law Republic Act No. 10172 entitled “An Act Further Authorizing the City or Municipal Civil Registrar or the Consul General to Correct Clerical or Typographical Errors in the Day and Month in the Date of Birth or Sex of a Person Appearing in the Civil Register Without Need of a Judicial Order Amending for this Purpose Republic Act Numbered Ninety Forty-Eight. The said law amended Republic Act No. 9048, particularly Section 1 thereof and now allows the concerned city or municipal civil registrar or consul general to change or correct without a judicial order, clerical or typographical errors and change of first name or nickname, the day and month in the date of birth or sex of a person where it is patently clear that there was a clerical or typographical error or mistake in the entry.

Whereas before it was only clerical or typographical errors and change in the first name or nickname of a person which may be changed or corrected by a city or municipal civil registrar or consul general without a judicial order, RA 10172 now allows changes or corrections in the month and date of birth and sex of a person, even without the person petitioning the court.


As defined under RA 10172, a “clerical or typographical error” refers to a mistake committed in the performance of clerical work in writing, copying, transcribing or typing an entry in the civil register that is harmless and innocuous, such as misspelled name or misspelled place of birth, mistake in the entry of day and month in the date of birth or the sex of the person or the like, which is visible to the eyes or obvious to the understanding, and can be corrected or changed only by reference to other existing record or records: Provided, however, That no correction must involve the change of nationality, age, or status of the petitioner.”


So how do you apply for a correction under RA 10172?

The law states that a petition for correction of a clerical or typographical error, or for change of first name or nickname, as the case may be, shall be in the form of an affidavit, subscribed and sworn to before any person authorized by law to administer oaths. The affidavit shall set forth facts necessary to establish the merits of the petition and shall show affirmatively that the petitioner is competent to testify to the matters stated. The petitioner shall state the particular erroneous entry or entries, which are sought to be corrected and/or the change sought to be made.

The petition shall be supported with the following documents:

(1) A certified true machine copy of the certificate or of the page of the registry book containing the entry or entries sought to be corrected or changed;

(2) At least two (2) public or private documents showing the correct entry or entries upon which the correction or change shall be based; and

(3) Other documents which the petitioner or the city or municipal civil registrar or the consul general may consider relevant and necessary for the approval of the petition.

Also, a petition for correction of erroneous entry concerning the date of birth or the sex of a person should be accompanied by earliest school record or earliest school documents such as, but not limited to, medical records, baptismal certificate and other documents issued by religious authorities;

Moreover, any entry involving change of gender must be accompanied by a certification issued by an accredited government physician attesting to the fact that the petitioner has not undergone sex change or sex transplant. The petition for change of first name or nickname, or for correction of erroneous entry concerning the day and month in the date of birth or the sex of a person, as the case may be, shall be published at least once a week for two (2) consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation.

Furthermore, the petitioner shall submit a certification from the appropriate law enforcements, agencies that he has no pending case or no criminal record.

The petition and its supporting papers shall be filed in three (3) copies to be distributed as follows: first copy to the concerned city or municipal civil registrar, or the consul general; second copy to the Office of the Civil Registrar General; and third copy to the petitioner.


10 Responses to “Republic Act No. 10172 – Correction of Clerical and Typographical Errors in Month and Date of Birth and Sex of a Person Appearing in Civil Register”

  1. Hi, I’d like to know when is this going to be implemented? Is Civil Registrar accepting this kind of petitions already?

  2. Hello! Sir, thank you for explaining this new law. I just wanted to ask if it will be fine to contact a lawyer to make a petition and to publish the petition in the newspaper of general circulation in MANILA before going to Misamis Oriental to apply for the correction? I was born in Villanueva, Misamis Oriental but my family has been living in Manila for more than twenty years now. I have been asking a lot of people but none has answered so far, and I wanted to be sure before going there to avoid inconvenience. Thank you very much for your response.

  3. Hi,I just want to ask.Does the Republic Act no. 10172 has already implemented in the Office of the Civil Registrar Davao City?

  4. good afternoon sir/mam

    mam ask ko lang po if my bayad po ba yong mg pa correct sa gender mam kasi sa millionng filipino ng hintay ng pakakatong ito lalo ng ang kapos sa pera para ipacorrect and gender mam at milliong filipino din naodlot ang pangarap dahil saproblema ng gender kasi kapos sa pera,kaya mam puong pasalamat ko ky president noynoy aquino na binigyan ng ng pakakataon and my mali sa birth mam,million filipino ang natutuwa sa balitang ito lalo pa walang bayad mam

    mr president noynoy aquino ako taospusong po ako ng pasalamat sa balitang ito

    and tanong ko lang po sa ngayon is my bayad po kasi ng punta ako sa kidapawan sabi sa aking my bayad po ang change to gender …thank you very much po president noynoy quino

  5. My father’s surname is balugo, but in my birth certificate it is banugo, in my baptismal, it is balogo. How can I use my baptismal cert. as a supporting document if it is also incorrect. I have been using balugo since birth, i suffered humiliation because of that surname..i could have used banugo, but because my father and all my siblings use balugo..I also use it, only to find out, it is banugo in my b.c. I applied for correction in 2002, but i surrendered due to several documents required, i even spent a lot for it.That baptismal cert. was the first hindrance for my application of correction of surname, in addition in my father and mother’s marriage contract, my father’s surname is balago. I do not know who should be blamed for those mistakes. I just wish when I apply for the correction under R.A. 10172, it will be granted..I shall consider it one of the happiest days of my life.

  6. Problema din po yan para sa anak kong lalaki. Angela Ian po ang first name sa birth certificate pero Angelo Ian po ang tlgang binigay ko na pangalan. Obvious naman po kasi lalaki nga po ang anak ko. Nagpapachange po ako ng letter na yun sa MUNICIPALITY ng Mandaluyong dahil dun ko sya pinanganak. Ang sabi ng clerk nung una change of letter eh magcocost ng 3000 and up pero kalaunan change of first name na daw po yun which costs higher at P5000 and up.. kahit obviously male ang anak ko at pagkakamali iyon ng clerk na nagtype dati. Sa ngayon po isinunod na ng teacher ang name ng anak ko sa school sa Angela which is very humiliating sa bata. Ano po ba dapat maging batayan para maging change of letter or name? Meh IAN din naman na second name to assure na panglalaki ang pangalan nya.

  7. Sir, Good day. Just wanna know if the correction of month of birth applicable for late registered birth cert?

  8. helo sir,mam ako po c exequiel mergal. at ung papa po me exequiel mirador arcelao. hingi lng po sna me ng payo tungkol s name me, nung elem. po me exequiel mergal arcelao pero po nung nag high school po me ay nagbgo n naging exequiel mergal nlang hnd ko po nkuha ung apilyido ni papa, kc po c papa ay ptay n po nung 1996 ppo hnhnapn po me ng legal document ng tga civil regstral at aknowledge ng ttay or picture, eh la po meng maipkta kya hnd me nkha ung name ni papa ano po b ang dpat po meng gwin?eto po b ay judisyal po b to n kso?

  9. hi exequiel,

    Dahil patay na ang tatay mo, ang tangi mo na lang magagawa ay humanap ng dociments na nagpapatunay ng relasyon mo sa tatay mo. kagaya ng report card. Maaari ka rin magpagawa ng affidavit of disinterested person na nagpapatunay na ang tatay mo ang tunay na tatay mo.

  10. Dear Attorney,
                Good Morning Attorney. Attorney itatanong ko lng po sana kung ano po ba ang magandang gawin kase po nagkaproblema po yng spelling ng first name ng anak ko. At naginquire po ako sa city hall ng maynila kase gusto ko po talaga iccorrect yung first name ng baby ko kaka four months nya plang po ngayng buwan. Sabi po saken ng city hall kailngan ko po daw po antayin mag seven years old yung anak ko bago po maicorrect kase yun daw po yung bagong batas pero dba attorney may bagong batas po ngyon na mas madali na po ayusin yung clerical error ng name ng baby ko. Ito po yung mga hinihingi saking requirements ng city hall. Matulungan nyo po sana ako.Thank you po.

Leave a Reply